Safety and Security Manager
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/13/2020
END DATE 9/21/2020
Suburban Water Systems
JOB DESCRIPTIONPOSITION SUMMARY
The Safety and Security Manager is responsible for the Company's Safety and Security programs, including:
* Employee Safety
* Plant Security
* Emergency Planning and Recovery
* Third Party Damage Claims
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
This position will be willing and able to perform the following duties and others as assigned:
* Advocate for the Company's Safety value
* Promotes a safe working environment for company employees at in the field and in the office;
* Continuously reviews Company safety plans, programs, policies, and procedures for consistency with relevant laws including but not limited to the Illness and Injury Prevention Plan. Prepares new or revises existing plans, programs, policies and procedures, as needed. Monitors employee and contractor compliance with safety plans, policies and procedures.
* Develops and implements safety programs and training for all staff. Consults as necessary with leadership on the design and implementation of safety programs, training, and use of all safety equipment.
* Ensures employees have required Personal Protective Equipment, and trains staff on proper PPE use and good industrial hygiene practices (ergonomics, safe vehicle operation, etc.)
* Represents the company in safety matters with State and Federal agencies, including but not limited to OSHA inspections.
* Performs and coordinates with managers and employees to perform safety training activities with company managers and employees. Ensures that training, safety meetings and inspections are documented, including weekly tailgate meetings. Maintains safety records and updates Safety Data Sheet (SDS) documents and other documents that require periodic updates.
* Coordinates Smith Driver Training program for company employees, and performs training.
* Performs periodic field inspections, office walk-through, yard inspections, and is responsible to make immediate corrections, shutdown work if deemed necessary, and/or reporting safety issues immediately to manager, supervisor, and company leadership.
* Initiates the investigation of accidents and workplace injuries and collaborates with Risk Management in the preparation of material and evidence for use in hearings, lawsuits and insurance investigations.
* Assists Risk Management in the worker's compensation process by attending legal proceedings as necessary, tracking accident trend, coordinating restricted duty, conducting accident investigations and arranging remedial safety training and making recommendations to improve performance.
* Manage the company's Near Miss reporting program, including promoting the program, distributing report information to share with employees in tailgate meetings, and ensure issues identified are tracked and resolved.
* Leads company Employee Safety Committee.
* Participates in the Corporate Safety Committee.
* Create, implement, and maintain the Company's Security Master Plan.
* Responsible for installation and maintenance of Company approved plant security devices.
* Maintains data in security system software.
* Manages the facility access system.
* Manages the video surveillance system.
Emergency Planning and Recovery:
* Develop, update, and implementation of the Company's emergency response plan and operations and disaster recovery plans.
* Train company management and employees to use the Emergency Response Plan, including conducting regular tabletop exercises on National Incident Management and Standardized Emergency Management systems.
* Facilitate execution of Emergency Response Procedures during events.
* Coordinate planning with other agencies including local cities, county, etc.
* Coordinate communication with other agencies during events.
Third Party Damage Claims:
* Manage the Company's Claims Administration program. In coordination with Risk Management, investigate and resolve all claims of damage to others' vehicle and other property, whether such claims are insured or un-insured.
* Files Small Claims Court litigation on behalf of the Company as requested. Acts as Company representative when communicates vehicle claim issues with insurance agencies, claims related attorneys and in Small Claims Court.
* Administers the Company's and hazardous material/hazardous waste programs.
* Work with Procurement/ Contracts Specialist to ensure safety compliance with contractors performing work for the Company. Set requirements for safety documentation based on the contractor's degree of risk.
* Maintain membership and actively participates in water utility oriented professional organizations.
* Works with Human Resources (HR) as needed
* Performs other job related duties as assigned by management.
Skills and Abilities:
* Knowledge of current federal, state, OSHA, and EPA industrial employee safety ordinances and regulations.
* Knowledge of utility and construction operations
* Knowledge of hazardous material handling and waste disposal laws and regulations
* Strong written and oral communication skills. Ability to communicate, effectively, patiently, positively, and constructively with executives and others inside and outside the organization.
* Detail-oriented and ability to independently plan and execute projects and programs with minimal supervision.
* Project manage and coordinate several projects simultaneously in a professional manner for timely completion.
* Initiative and problem solving determine the underlying problem, propose and execute solutions.
Education: Bachelor's degree in business, safety engineering, industrial hygiene, occupational health, human resources, or related field is desirable. Ten years of relevant job experience may be substituted for a degree.
Experience: Five years' progressive experience in safety or risk management. Including direct experience in development and maintenance of safety and security programs, emergency operation and disaster recovery plans, safety analysis and accident investigation, workers compensation, liability claims, and loss analysis.
Certification: Minimum of DDW Distribution Operator 2 and DDW Treatment Operator 2.
Computer Skills: Ability to learn and independently use security system software. Ability to independently perform Internet searches to find information and solutions required to solve problems. Ability to independently learn and use web-based software (NetTime, Halogen, etc.). Experience using Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems (like SAP) for, time card entries, and procurement activities. Ability to use Microsoft Office 365 to efficiently complete tasks.
Driver\'s License: Hold a valid California driver's license with acceptable driving record as determined by Company insurance carrier; Familiar with safety practices and rules applicable to job duties.
May be required to sit for long periods of time, must be able to walk long distances, may work long and irregular hours under demanding conditions, must be able to operate a Company passenger vehicle or pickup truck, must have adequate vision and hearing that is required to communicate with personnel in person or by telephone and may require moderate lifting and carrying up to 25 pounds.
Employee works in a climate-controlled office environment shared by other employees. Employee works in the field on construction sites and in the roadway.
Employees hired from outside of the company must obtain the required level of certification within 24 months of hire.