Safety & Environmental Manager - Southern Region 5/3/2020
Western States Equipment Co
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY The Safety & Environmental Manager is responsible for administering Western States' safety program, providing safety training and coaching, participating in program strategy, and ensuring the safety program, policies, procedures and processes are updated and shared across area of responsibility. This regional position will cover branch locations in the southern territory which includes Pocatello, Idaho Falls, and Twin Falls, ID, Butte, MT and Jackson Hole, WY.
* Builds positive relationships in facilities of responsibility by spending time becoming deeply familiar with workflow, the Western States business, the facilities, and the strategic direction of the safety program.
* Collaborates with employees and leaders to identify safety concerns and potential hazards in the workplace. Recommends safety improvements and solutions to enhance workplace safety and injury prevention.
* Support the Safety Committee, attending monthly meetings, sharing safety strategy, coaching and educating the team on safety policies and providing guidance on injury prevention strategies.
* Conducts data analysis to identify trends and provide pro-active solutions to slow and stop the injury trend.
* Conducts Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) site inspections and audits, action plans and follow-up visits to ensure compliance with EHS regulations and company policies in multi-location territory. Recommends corrective action where environment health and safety hazards exist.
* Assists management to interpret and apply regulatory requirements and company policy. Provides leadership and guidance to ensure regulatory standards are being enforced. Ensures that quality control procedures are executed to monitor all aspects of regulations.
* Implements Company programs to achieve compliance, continuously improve performance, and meet customer requirements.
* Collaborates with Human Resources on Workers Compensation cases, conducting the initial incident analysis and effectively communicating throughout the case to monitor adherence to accommodations and other compliance requirements.
* Collaborates in industry and regional EHS activities to share knowledge, influence decision making, and promote WSECO brand; collaborates with peers to share knowledge and best practices across the organization.
* Keeps updated on new developments in EHS regulations and incorporates this information into the workplace assigned.
* Adheres to all customer care standards.
* Participates as a team member in support of Western States' strategic programs, projects, and initiatives.
* Works within and promotes corporate vision, mission, and values of the organization.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
* Expert working knowledge of OSHA regulations for general industry.
* Proficient knowledge of MSHA regulations for Safety Managers in mining territory.
* Proven ability to build productive relationships with all levels of the workforce and influence safe work behaviors.
* Proven ability to work independently and manage priorities and resolve issues in a timely manner.
* Proven written and verbal communication skills. Ability to present information to groups and respond to questions.
* Successful experience as a team member sharing information, following process, and recommending improvements. Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues, employees, and leadership at all levels.
* Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with others to include customers, vendors, employees, governmental entities and the public.
* Frequent overnight travel required to manage territory, approx. 60% travel. Occasional travel to other locations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
* Proof of high school diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
* Bachelor's degree in Safety with one year experience with a comparable EHS program, or a Bachelor's degree in a related field with three years' experience with a comparable EHS program, or an equivalent combination of education and experience required.
* ASP certification preferred or will acquire soon after employment
* Experience with heavy equipment preferred.
* Valid driver's license and acceptable driving record required.
* Must be able to communicate (speak, read, comprehend, write in English).
* Must be able to sit for long periods of time along with walking, standing, climbing stairs, reaching, pushing, pulling, leaning and twisting.
* Able to lift up to 10 lbs in accordance with Western States' Lifting Safe Work Practice to include amount and approach.
* Must be able to meet all safety requirements for applicable safety policies.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. It is not intended be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this classification.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)