Shurtape Technologies, LLC
New Hartford, CT
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Scientist/Engineer will work with New Product Development (NPD) teams to develop, scale-up and support the development of new products for PSA tapes and related product areas. The Scientist/Engineer will work with Marketing and Manufacturing to support core business needs such as complaint resolutions, Voice-of-the-Customer activities and cost-reduction initiatives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Maintain a high standard of safety performance including conducting all job duties in a safe manner and following the handling, storage and disposal of materials in accordance with environmental regulations
· Work with NPD teams in designing pressure sensitive adhesive, back size/release and barrier formulations and coating methods
· Conduct research into the structure, properties and performance of pressure sensitive adhesives and their interaction with additives, tape constructions and substrates to improve product design
· Manage new product development and research projects including establishing goals, objectives and execution plan, using DOE methods as required; establish specifications for product performance, processing parameters, and raw materials in the creation of new products; and document project results in technical reports
· Develop an understanding of manufacturing processes to facilitate new product development and work with Manufacturing to scale up adhesive and coating formulations
· Lead new product development team
· Support of research work with strong analysis of the patent and research literature
· Contribute to the development of intellectual property as determined by the business and product innovation strategies
· Maintain an awareness of external product and process technology developments, including those of competitors, through external networks (academia, suppliers, customers, research institutes, etc.), literature study, and technical meetings and conferences and incorporate this information into the design and development of new products
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Polymer Science/Engineering, or Materials Science/Engineering or equivalent experience
· 5 to 10 years' experience
· Experience in applied polymer science, including analytical, mechanical and rheological characterization techniques
· Experience with PSA adhesives, polymeric coatings, and UV/E-beam curing technology preferred
· Knowledge of polymer melt processing methods, experience with rubber, polyolefins and acrylic processing, adhesive formulations, and design and compounding of multi-component blend formulations
· Ability to work independently, as well as to collaborate effectively in a team
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to present effectively to business, technical and operating groups
· Ability to adapt quickly to a changing environment and manage multiple projects demonstrating excellent time management skills, prioritization and a sense of urgency in carrying out project objectives
· Strong analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills, with the ability to evaluate options and converge on a solution quickly
· Passion for innovation and a high degree of curiosity
· Experience leading new technology development teams a plus
· Working knowledge of statistics, including Design of Experiments
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
· Ability to sit, stand and work in front of a laptop or PC workstation for extended periods of time
· Some light lifting may be required
· Manual dexterity for completion of technical tasks
The job is performed in a combination of a climate-controlled office environment, a lab setting, and production environment.
· Travel may be involved to visit other company facilities, visiting suppliers, and customers
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)