Scientist, Formulation Science 6/6/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY THE ROLE:
Moderna is seeking a Scientist in Formulation Science to expand Moderna s proprietary mRNA delivery platform. The successful candidate will possess a strong expertise in materials sciences, chemistry, nanotechnology biophysics or a related field, and a drive to succeed within a hypothesis-driven, collaborative, and multi-disciplinary biotech environment. The candidate must be CURIOUS in exploring new processes for formulation design and discovery, BOLD in proposing creative experimental designs and ideas, able to work COLLABORATIVEly within multifunctional teams, and be RELENTLESS in pursuing successful outcomes. Candidates with a proven record of scientific innovation and experience in chemical engineering, pharmaceutical formulation design, and biophysical characterization of nanoparticles are strongly encouraged to apply.
HERE S WHAT YOU LL DO:
* Design innovative formulation processes to enable discovery of novel formulations for mRNA delivery in multiple applications.
* Conduct process scale-down evaluations to establish small scale methods for particle formation based on hypothesis-driven design criteria using established manufacturing processes.
* Interact with multidisciplinary teams to evaluate process improvements and formulations in preclinical studies.
* Interpret and integrate data from a wide range of experimental inputs, ranging from physical properties to biochemical measurements to in-vivo biological and pharmacological studies to effectively formulate drug optimization strategies. Ability to apply this data in a design of experiments to correlate process changes and resultant formulation characteristics to performance improvements.
* Produce quality results in an efficient and timely manner; maintain clear and accurate records of experimental work in lab notebooks; and drive improvements to projects and the department through sharing of best practices.
* Maintain a working knowledge of the literature by surveying publications and patents, summarize the learnings in the form of reports or presentations, and apply them to ongoing and future research projects.
* Demonstrate strong communication skills through report preparation, contribution to patent applications, and disseminating research results through presentations.
* Work effectively in cross-functional teams to enable formulation process design and incorporate the latest advancements in formulation process in the platform.
HERE S WHAT YOU LL BRING TO THE TABLE:
* Ph.D. in Chemical or Biological Engineering, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biophysics, Material Sciences, Chemistry, or related field with 0 5 years of relevant experience post-Ph.D..
* Experience in the field of pharmaceutical formulation, formulation process, or nanotechnology, and related characterization expertise is highly desired.
* Strong understanding of materials sciences, bioengineering, chemical engineering, or related field.
* A proven track record for scientific achievements in patents and publications.
* Effective written and oral communication skills, collaborate effectively within project teams, comfort with senior management interactions, and the ability to mentor junior group members.
HERE S WHAT WE LL BRING TO THE TABLE:
* On-site subsidized cafeteria or catered lunches
* Company-provided iPhone
* Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass
* Free annual corporate membership to Bluebikes
* Highly competitive healthcare coverage including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP
* Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
* 16 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
* 16 weeks 100% paid family caregiver leave
* 20 weeks 100% paid medical leave
* Eligible for Moderna Month ? (one month paid sabbatical after five years of service and eligible for additional one month paid sabbatical every 3 years thereafter)
* Adoption assistance and discounts to local childcare centers, as well as access to care.com
* 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately
* A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
* Voluntary legal assistance plan
* 15 days vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays (includes 2 floating holidays)
Moderna is advancing messenger RNA (mRNA) science to create a new class of transformative medicines for patients. mRNA medicines are designed to direct the body s cells to produce intracellular, membrane or secreted proteins that can have a therapeutic or preventive benefit and have the potential to address a broad spectrum of diseases. The Company s platform builds on continuous advances in basic and applied mRNA science, delivery technology and manufacturing, providing Moderna the capability to pursue in parallel a robust pipeline of new development candidates. Moderna is developing therapeutics and vaccines for infectious diseases, immuno-oncology, rare diseases, cardiovascular diseases, and autoimmune and inflammatory diseases, independently and with strategic collaborators.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Mass., Moderna currently has strategic alliances for development programs with AstraZeneca, Plc. and Merck, Inc., as well as the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), an agency of the U.S. Department of Defense, the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), a division of the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI). Moderna has been ranked in the top ten of Science s list of top biopharma industry employers for the past five years. To learn more, visit www.modernatx.com.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is a smoke-free, alcohol-free and drug-free work environment.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.