Scientist, Gastroenterology 6/3/2020
Ferring Pharmaceuticals Inc
San Diego, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY JOB DESCRIPTION:
Ferring Pharmaceuticals is a globally recognized, research-driven, biopharmaceutical company with 70 years of history. Headquartered in Switzerland, Ferring is privately owned with over 6000 employees in nearly 60 countries. Within Ferring, the Global Drug Discovery and External Innovation (GDDEI) organization has an aggressive growth agenda to drive scientific excellence and build an early pipeline. The research focus is to discover transformational medicine and advance most promising science, internal or external, in the fields of reproductive medicine & maternal health, uro-oncology, and GI/microbiome.
People Come First at Ferring. The Ferring Philosophy places people at the heart of what we do. This guides our relations with patients, physicians, employees, and other stakeholders. We invite you to share our passion for people and the power of science.
The Ferring Research Institute was established in San Diego, California in 1996 as the company s center of excellence for peptide research. More than 80 people work at its state-of-the-art research facility located in the heart of the Southern California biopharmaceutical community.
Candidate will be responsible for the conception, implementation, and leadership of new research project ideas for the Ferring Gastroenterology therapeutic area based upon integration of biomedical knowledge, understanding of disease pathophysiology, current and emerging medical practice, and commercial considerations.
As part of Global Drug Discovery and External Innovation, the Gastroenterology Research Therapeutic Area is committed to developing new treatments for inflammatory bowel disease and adjacent autoimmune diseases like primary sclerosing cholangitis as well as other GI diseases including C. difficile infection. A major area of focus is characterizing the role of the gut microbiome in gastrointestinal pathogenesis to identify novel treatments.
* Cultivate effective partnerships throughout the global Ferring Gastroenterology group including the clinical development and commercial teams
* Create a strong organizational alignment for new Gastroenterology research programs through effective presentation of scientific and business cases to key decision-makers within Ferring
* Manage a project portfolio generated in-house and through external collaborations that are aligned with Ferring s Gastroenterology strategy
* Design and execute preclinical in vitro and in vivo experiments to support the clinical translation of portfolio projects
* Identify and manage external collaborations with CROs and key opinion leaders at major academic research centers and facilitate the translation of their research results into portfolio projects
* Initiate and introduce new scientific ideas
* Keep up-to-date in the Gastroenterology space by attending scientific conferences, reading relevant literature, and publishing novel research findings
* Ph.D. in a relevant scientific field
* 3-5 years of industry or post-doctoral experience in target identification and drug discovery
* Strong background in the (patho) physiology of the GI tract including the role of the microbiome in gastrointestinal diseases
* Proven track record of executing innovative projects as indicated by an outstanding publication record and presentations at national conferences
* Experience working in cross-functional scientific teams with understanding of chemistry, biologics, ADME/DMPK, and toxicology disciplines
* Experience with current state-of-the-art technologies including flow cytometry, LICOR, Luminex, MSD, RNAseq as well as emerging in vitro models including gut-on-a-chip and intestinal organoids
* Deep understanding of mouse models of IBD including adoptive T cell transfer and transgenic models
* Experience analyzing metagenomic and metabolomic datasets
* Capable of developing a strong translational network of academic partners in the Gastroenterology area
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, oral and written
* Ability to blend into the Ferring culture and embrace the Ferring philosophy
We are proud to be an Affirmative Action/EEO Employer. EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
If you need assistance during the application process due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org