Senior Custodian (5116C) - #2689 11/18/2019
University of California-Berkeley
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Title
Senior Custodian (5116C) - #2689
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world s leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: November 29, 2019
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). We are currently seeking a Senior Custodian who will work within the department s Facilities unit.
* Perform cleaning, housekeeping and/or general maintenance of Department facilities.
* Cleaning includes but is not limited to cleaning carpets and floors, removing dust, sanitizing telephones, restrooms, shower and locker facilities, cleaning windows and mirrors, stairwells, concrete walkways, walls, counters, sinks, cabinets, removing trash and debris, emptying receptacles, clearing drains, removing graffiti, bright work, etc.
* Facilities vary from public restrooms at Memorial Stadium and gymnasium floors at Haas Pavilion to weight rooms and team rooms at outdoor facilities.
* Replace light bulbs as needed.
* Empty exterior trash cans specifically located inside Athletics outside facilities; i.e., the trash can at Underhill Field bleachers, the trash can on the plaza at the stadium.
* Operate equipment such as vacuum cleaners, buffers, scrubbers, carpet shampoo machines, pressure washers, hoses, floor scrubbing, polishing machines, etc.
* Utilize cleaning materials and chemicals in a safe manner consistent with directions for use as prescribed by Material Safety Data Sheets, labels, and directions.
* Utilize "universal precautions" techniques in the event of cleanup of body fluids and possible blood borne pathogen contact.
* Document potential contact.
* Secure facilities as appropriate at conclusion of cleaning.
* Perform routine tasks per oral instruction, written check list, directions, etc.
Event Custodial Support:
* Perform clean up, equipment and furniture setup, custodial and light logistical support for special events and Athletic events.
* Tasks, include but are not limited to, cleaning restrooms or other areas during a home game, preparation of a meeting area for a meeting, moving chairs and tables from one location to another, setting up tables and chairs per the documented configuration.
* Assist in set-up and take-down of equipment for special events.
Leadership and Teamwork:
* Ensure safe working conditions and implement health and safety policies, and as appropriate, personnel policies in the daily work setting.
* Communicate with other staff and the general public in a professional manner, and be a positive public relations influence for the unit and the entire department.
* Other duties as assigned by the Athletics Custodial Director.
* Ability to lift 50 lbs.
* Ability to read, write, and follow oral and written instructions.
* Must have at least six (6) months experience in custodial operations
* Incumbent should be skilled in cleaning methods and techniques.
* Incumbent should have the ability and experience to operate machines and equipment used for custodial cleaning.
* Ability to work flexible hours as needed.
* Knowledge of cleaning products.
* Must have the ability to maintain current knowledge of applicable rules and standards of the Pacific-12 Conference, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), as well as other associations and agencies to which the Berkeley campus of the University of California adheres, and, at all times avoid any and all violations of these rules and standards, or the ability to learn as they pertain to the job.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience up to $18.87, Step 1.0.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: