Senior Data Center Technician 6/6/2020
Brookfield Global Integrated Solutions
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Field:
Facility Management - Critical Environment
Length of Assignment:
BGIS is currently seeking a Senior Data Center Technician to join the team.
The Senior Data Center Technician is responsible for advanced front-line support of IT and Network Infrastructure within the raised floor areas of the Data Center. Support services are provided on behalf of the owners of the systems, to help them keep their systems and associated data securely protected and available for running their businesses. Support functions will cover a wide range of activities relating to installation, maintenance, and ongoing operations of the cabinets, equipment, and communications services inside the Data Center.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Installations and Troubleshooting
* Responds to scheduled and emergency dispatches to Data Center for after-hours service calls and security escorts.
* Participates in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
* Completes physical installation and power-up (Rack & Stack) of servers, peripherals, and network equipment.
* Completes physical installation, dressing, and connection of fiber and copper communications cables.
* Provides visual inspection, status reporting, and power-cycling services in response to customer requests.
* Provides installation and replacement services for hot-swappable or modular hardware components, such as hard drives and power supplies.
* Provides selected software support services such as controlled system reboots, process/service re-initialization, and device configuration under direction of customer specialists or other senior staff.
* Completes assigned and scheduled tasks in a timely manner in accordance with customer deadlines.
* Site-specific roles will be defined in detail via supplemental documentation provided at the Data Center.
* Details for specific work assignments, tasks, and procedures will be provided as required.
* Acts as an escalation point for advanced troubleshooting issues
* Coordinates with customers to review incoming project needs and provides installation requirements based on space, power and cooling.
* Coordinates with onsite facility services to balance and ensure maximum raised floor cooling and airflow efficiencies are deployed
* Reviews hardware installation and provides quality assurance reviews
* Other duties as assigned.
* Physical work requirements of position will include regular walks through Data Center during the day, lifting servers and other equipment (up to 30 kg), working from ladders, running cables, working with hand tools and test equipment, etc.
* Must comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures.
* Provides security escort services for carriers, service providers, and maintenance technicians.
* Ensures compliance with business requirements, via established Service Level Agreements (SLAs) and other performance indicators (i.e. response time, resolution rate, service quality, customer satisfaction) to ensure service levels are met.
Asset Management and Documenting
* Receives, records, and stores shipments of equipment and materials for customers and Data Center use.
* Documents work in designated ticketing systems, asset management systems, and other record keeping systems as required for reference and audit purposes.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
* Minimum 1 Technical Certification
* Minimum 3 years experience with IT and networking systems, with exposure to technical and operations roles, in a Data Center environment
* Experience with dynamic Co-location and Managed Services environments
* Strong working knowledge of Data Center architectures and systems for raised floor space: equipment cabinets, containment solutions, final power distribution, computer systems, network systems, cabling systems, and communications circuits
* Strong working knowledge of Data Center core infrastructure (power, cooling, fire protection) and interactions with raised floor equipment standards
* Ability to act with urgency to provide world class customer support.
* Ability to work in a team environment where diversity, knowledge transfer, and cohesiveness is promoted.
* The ability to work all shift schedules 7x24x365. On-call rotation as assigned.
* Understanding of Data Center security and audit standards: HIPPA, ISO-27001, PCI, PWGSC, CSAE 3416, SSAE16, SOC 1, SOC 2
* Strong proficiency with software tools such as Microsoft Office & Visio, AutoCAD,
* Strong proficiency with computer server hardware systems running Windows or UNIX/Linux operating systems
* Demonstrated good understanding of network hardware equipment and TCP/IP networking principles
* Demonstrated proficiency with DCIM principles and applications
* Ability to work collaboratively with customers, colleagues, and other service providers to plan and execute tasks
* Ability to work independently and with limited supervision to complete assigned tasks
* Demonstrated high standards for workmanship, organization, and cleanliness with tasks, equipment, and workspaces
* Advanced troubleshooting skills to investigate and resolve systems and infrastructure problems
* Demonstrated strong customer service skills and maintain good relations with customers and colleagues
* Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communications skills
* Valid driver s license
Licenses and/or Professional Accreditation
* Certified Engineering Technologist (C.E.T.) certification an asset
* Possess a minimum of one supplemental accreditation from established industry organizations such as Cisco (e.g. CCNA, CCNP), CompTIA (e.g. A+), Microsoft (e.g. MCSA, MCSE), Uptime Institute (e.g. AOS)
* Bilingual ability a plus
Our company culture includes a robust mix of sound business practices and employee initiatives that promote personal and professional development, work/life balance, health and wellness and community involvement. The Company is an equal opportunity employer. We believe every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, ancestry, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, or Veteran or military status, genetic information or any other basis prohibited by local, state or federal law in the relevant jurisdiction. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to employment, advancement, assignment and training.
BGIS is committed to strengthening our diversity through recruiting and retaining minority and women professionals from all backgrounds. Our commitment is consistent with our recognition that it is the outstanding people within BGIS who have always been the source of our strength. We recognize that promoting diversity is an integral component of our continuing quest for organizational excellence. This commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity is made equally as a social responsibility and as an economic and business necessity.
Anyone with questions or concerns regarding Equal Employment Opportunity should contact their direct supervisor or the Human Resources Department without fear of retaliation of any kind.
* Back Share