Senior Editor - Communications 8/22/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Summary
At Houston Methodist, the Senior Editor provides writing, editorial and communications plan support for the Houston Methodist Academic Institute. This person works closely with web, creative services, marketing/PR, and event services teams to achieve the goals of the institute. This position translates scientific/medical information into language that can be understood by broad research, health professional, and lay audiences for a wide variety of projects. Responsibilities include developing communications plans, meeting deadlines for production, managing editorial timelines, and writing/editing content for a variety of communications channels.
This role will define key messages and develop copy appropriate for executive communications and various corporate communications including web, social media, email, digital posters, presentations and print materials. Key functions of this position include supporting creation, organization, accuracy and distribution of PowerPoint slide decks for executive communications; providing editorial support for Methodology magazine; and creating and editing content for HMAI web pages. This position coordinates with external vendors on projects and ensures positive relationships with a variety of stakeholders including clients, faculty, and executive administration.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
* Refer to departmental Scope of Service and Provision of Care plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populatons servedby ths job description for the respontive HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
* Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
* INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
* COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
* ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
* RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
* EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
* Focuses on patient/customer safety
* Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
* Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
* Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
* Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25 %
* Functions as liaison for research and education content with corporate Marketing/PR.
* In coordination with department management, partners with contract writers and editors to meet goals and objectives.
* Accepts projects, assesses scope and bandwidth, assigns tasks and manages project from inception to completion.
* Identifies when the goals of different teams do not align and suggests solutions that satisfy all parties.
SERVICE - 25 %
* Responsible for the completion and management of projects as assigned on time.
* Acts as managing or assistant editor for print and digital periodicals.
* Uses structured problem solving to resolve project roadblocks.
* Writes copy and conceptualizes accompanying visual communications materials to communicate technical information to a variety of audiences and via a variety of communications channels including web, executive presentations, info graphics, newsletters, emails, and print materials.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20 %
* Ensures rigorous content accuracy with skilled proofreading and content knowledge channels correcting organization, grammar, structure, clarity and style.
* Creates and constantly improves, processes, policies and procedures, editorial guidelines and maintaining documentation (such as conflicts of interest statements, author s checklists, releases, contracts, copyright and license compliance, and requests to reprint)
* Responsible for overall accuracy of research and education content on websites.
* Ensures that all materials meet established standards as to branding standards, appearance and content.
FINANCE - 10 %
* Plans, and coordinates activities of designated projects to ensure that goals or objectives of projects are accomplished within the prescribed time frame and within budget.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20 %
* Stays abreast of content trends and applies them to visual communications, web, executive presentations, infographics, newsletters, emails, and print materials.
* Continuously applies learnings and best practices to improve efficiency of content development and deployment process.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
* Master s in science, public health or communications or related field; PhD preferred.
* 5 years of experience in writing and editing materials communicating technical information in sciences or medicine to both broad professional and lay audiences. Experience in academic environment and with executive communications preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
* Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
* Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
* Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
* Project management and periodical production skills
* Knowledge of public relations, marketing, creative services, digital communications, and print production
* Demonstrate strong analytical skills and organizational skills and strong editorial judgment
* Knowledge of research, education, and medical field
* Project management skills and structured problem solving skills
* Strong oral and written communication skills optimizing organization, grammar, structure, clarity and style.
* A thorough knowledge of contemporary writing and editorial best practices for print and digital projects including web and social media.
* Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously and balance many competing priorities in a fast-pace environment.
* Strong organizational, communication and customer service
* Proficient in Microsfot Office spreadsheet, word processing, presentation software and Adobe Creative Suite. Proficiency in HTML preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity. Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.