Senior Manager II - Payroll 6/6/2020
Hughes Network Systems
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS) headquartered in Englewood, CO, with additional locations world-wide, is a premier global provider of satellite solutions and technology services. Together with its major subsidiaries EchoStar Satellite Services and Hughes Network Systems EchoStar offers employees the opportunity to explore the boundaries of what s possible in the fields of engineering and the business functions transforming this engineering into revenue.
We are seeking an experienced and exceptionally talented SENIOR MANAGER OF PAYROLL who will initially be responsible for leading the EchoStar payroll team across our domestic organization with growth opportunity to eventual global payroll management.
This role is based at our Hughes headquarters in Gaithersburg, MD and will report to the Sr. Director of Corporate Shared Services. This candidate will be responsible for managing the currently existing domestic payroll of approximately 1,800 employees located throughout the US. The right candidate for this position must not only possess the payroll technical skills to lead the team successfully, they must also have demonstrated systems, process and documentation of controls experience to ensure the team is performing at its highest potential. After optimizing the output and performance of the domestic payroll operations, the new leader of the payroll team will play a key role in the global expansion of our payroll management responsibilities.
This position requires the right person to successfully team with individuals and managers across the entire EchoStar organization to ensure timely and accurate payroll processing. Although performing at a Senior Manager level, the right individual for this position must be willing to roll their sleeves up and emerge themselves in the day to day details of the payroll organization as required. The key to this job is to get payroll done timely, accurately and efficiently.
They also need to know EXACTLY what needs to be done to grow, improve and scale our payroll operations and the underlying processes. They must be able to take initiative, get the job done with little or no direction and be able drive significant value and change into the business company-wide. They must also be an engaging and inspiring leader that can build cross-functional alignment and participation, have command and control of technical payroll processing, accounting and statutory requirements. Last, they need to have excellent process improvement skills as well as superior writing, presentation and organizational skills.
* Manages and ensures accuracy in all phases of the payroll processing cycle to include: tax deposits, and quarterly tax returns. Also, masters payroll balancing and required governmental reporting in an accurate and timely manner. In addition to having a strong knowledge of all aspects of payroll practices; will serve as technical resource for the group.
* Oversees and participates in bi-weekly multi-state domestic Exempt and Non- Exempt payrolls for assigned segmented payroll groups.
* Manages and provides comprehensive review of time entered by employees electronically and manually as well as ensures required approvals are obtained. Also, coordinates efforts between various departments to ensure data collection and accuracy while adhering to a stringent time schedule resulting in completed and posted payroll.
* Ensures preparation and filing of various bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly, as well as annual payroll tax returns and also provides assistance to employees, timekeepers and supervisors with payroll issues to include requests for payroll information on a regular basis. Researches payroll issues/discrepancies, and processes necessary corrections; complies with the regulatory standards and policies and procedures of payroll.
* Responsible for the accuracy, balancing and reconciliation of all payroll related general ledger postings. In addition, provide timely response(s) to management inquiries for payroll variances within the company s monthly financial statements.
* Assist the general ledger team with all account reconciliations related to payroll and benefit activity.
* Capable of calculating retroactive/adjusted pay for new hires, terms, and pay increases; verifies deduction calculations with respect to elected deductions, garnished wages, and Sec. 125 plans; for newly enrolled or changes to existing employees.
* Manages, generates, validates, and submits for approval all check, ACH and wire transmissions as they relate to payroll. Furthermore, reviews year end data and reporting to applicable agencies; overseer of in-house preparation of annual employee W-2 forms.
* Provides accurate and detailed information to employees/management as requested with respect to confidential and time sensitive matters; additionally, provides clear oral and written communication that reflects excellent customer service.
* Maintain and grow strong business relationships with internal partners including HR, IT and company management.
* Remain current on all government regulations regarding payroll. Ensure policies and practices are up to date and capability of direct staff and indirect staff that handle payroll practices.
* Work with Internal Audit to uphold a strong internal control environment (SOX) by ensuring effective business controls are in place and compliance is maintained as well as monitor audit findings and implement corrective actions as necessary.
* Coach, mentor and provide professional development to a department including objective development and progress to team members in order to achieve operational excellence.
* Bachelor's or Master Degree required in Accounting, Business or a related field
* 10 or more years of experience of multi-state US payroll and payroll tax filing
* 5 or more years of direct management experience
* CPP is a major plus
* Advanced PC skills across MS Office Suite
* Experience with global payroll provider (ADP) preferred to support future growth initiatives
* Bring a hands-on attitude with strong management and leadership skills
* Strong interpersonal, written and presentation skills with external and internal customers at all levels within a team or organization
* Strong project management experience with the ability to independently plan, execute, and deliver on projects in a timely manner; including prioritizing and tracking schedules, while working on multiple projects/initiatives
* Able to independently problem-solve and make decisions
* Expert at attention to detail with strong analytical and organizational skills
* High emotional IQ very strong communication and influencing skills and a demonstrated ability to work effectively across multiple functional and business groups
* A successful track record in change management
* A proven ability to be decisive, resolve issues and deliver on commitments and deadlines
* Demonstrated creativity and flexibility in problem solving and project collaboration
* Superior organization and prioritization skills
* Highly skilled in data analysis and proven ability to present data in a clear, concise and compelling manner to all levels of management
EchoStar and its Affiliated Companies are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. U.S. Citizenship is required for certain positions. EEO is the law.