Senior Medical Assistant- Primary Care Katy 8/21/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Summary
At Houston Methodist, the Sr. Medical Assistant (MA) position functions as an expert and demonstrates highly competent knowledge in the more technical and advanced examinations and treatments necessary to communicate appropriately and carry out delegated medical assistant level tasks under the direct supervision Physician and/or Registered Nurse for assigned patient populations, for providing high quality support of patient care and services. This position oversees appropriate scope of practice (i.e. Hand Hygiene Validator, EMR super-user). The Sr. MA position assists with patient examinations, procedures, diagnostic studies, treatment, and dressing changes. This position also performs general administrative duties in accordance with CLIA, HIPAA, NCQA and government standards, as well as company policies and procedures. The Sr. MA position participates in patient care which is under the direction of a physician and within the scope of a medical assistant. This position may also be required to schedule patient appointments, ensure medical necessity compliance, and verify eligibility for care. Other duties for the Sr MA position include independently and expertly performing the duties and responsibilities of preceptor and clinical resource to MAs, training and orienting others as appropriate.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
1. Role models and promotes a positive work environment that actively assists interprofessional care team to achieve optimal department results. Makes contributions to the work effort as a whole, by leading and initiating problem resolution within the work unit. Facilitates teamwork by anticipating the need for assistance and responding positively to requests for assistance.
2. Collaborates with all members of the interprofessional health care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. Teaches peers to critically think by verbally expressing rationale for decisions and follows up consistently. Facilitates open, professional, communication to achieve mutual understanding, role modeling by example.
3. Independently executes the duties and responsibilities of preceptor, serves as a clinical resource in the department, using advanced skills and competencies, guiding and mentoring colleagues though processes in order to provide optimal patient care. Provides structured feedback with examples.
SERVICE - 30%
1. Provides care to patients visiting the clinic under the direct supervision of a Physician,
Registered Nurse, or clinic leadership procedures, using cultural diversity and inclusion principles. Complete pre-visit planning workflow prior to visit whenever possible, including completing and/or requesting appropriate documentation. In collaboration with the provider team, anticipates the needs of the specific patient population.
2. Communicates with patient, obtains and documents vital signs (i.e., pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight, and height), chief complaint(s), preforms medication(s) review, discusses/reviews medical and social history (as appropriate). Documents, in patient s electronic medical record (EMR). care administered, all diagnostic measurements, treatments and procedures in accordance with established policies and.
3. Follow-up with patient as appropriate to ensure compliance with recommendations, medications, lab/x-ray results, special visits, PCP visits, dieticians, diabetes educators, etc. Ensures patient utilization and activation of MyChart.
4. Provides care coordination with hospital, ED, consulting physicians and/or community resources whenever appropriate to including handling patient inquiries.
5. Role models behaviors and skills, through peer-to-peer accountability, towards improving department score for patient satisfaction.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
1. Reports observations, conditions and problems of patients to the physician and/or nurse. Recognizes abnormal clinical findings and reports them appropriately. Provides for the privacy of patients and families, keeping the safety of the patient in mind.
2. Accurately performs routine tests on patients such as EKG, rapid strep, urinalysis, and urine pregnancy tests.
3. Sterilizing instruments and equipment; prepare, clean and maintain exam and treatment rooms, as well as supplies and equipment.
FINANCE - 10%
1. Responsible for stocking exam rooms, taking inventory, and ordering supplies.
2. Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime. Role models effective time management and coordinates colleagues to meet the overall demands of the department.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
1. Develops skills of team members and continually assists with improving skills, performance and outcomes. Actively participates in professional development and the development of ongoing educational activities at a department-based level.
2. Offers innovative solutions through participation in performance improvement activities. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
o Five (5) years medical assistant experience with highly complex, chronic disease management or in a specialty discipline
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Medical Assistant Certification through an approved credentialing certification agency,within one year of employment, i.e. American Association of Medical Assistant, American Medical Technologists, or Emergency Medical Technician.
Equal Employment Opportunity. Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.