Senior Paralegal, Corporate / Securities 6/5/2020
El Segundo, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Posting Title Senior Paralegal, Corporate / Securities Requisition Number 200896 Location El Segundo, California Zip Code 90245 Job Category Legal
CREATIVITY IS OUR SUPERPOWER. It s our heritage and it s also our future. Because we don t just make toys. We create wonder and inspire dreams of epic proportions. It s a big task, and we re here because we re up to the challenge. Are you*
We have an exciting opportunity to join our Law Department, where we embrace Mattel s values and goals by providing thoughtful and timely advice to all Mattel business functions around the world. We strive to find creative, practical solutions that prudently manage risk and contribute to Mattel s success, and we practice law in accordance with the highest standards of integrity and ethics.
The Mattel, Inc. Law Department is looking for a Senior Paralegal who will provide high-quality corporate paralegal services to attorneys in the Corporate/Securities group of the Mattel Law Department and its clients throughout Mattel.
As part of the group, you will be a key contributor to an active practice that assists the Company with achieving significant objectives by providing high-quality legal support in all areas of corporate and securities matters. Key client groups include Board of Directors, Executive Officers, Finance, Controllership, Treasury, Human Resources, Tax and Corporate Strategy, among others.
What Your Impact Will Be:
Addressing various securities regulation matters, including but not limited to:
* with an attorney, preparing and filing various SEC periodic reports including, but not limited to, Schedule 14A/Proxy Statement, Form 10-K, Form 10-Qs, and Form 8-Ks;
* with attorney oversight, preparing and filing all Section 16 reports (Form 3s, 4s and 5s) and maintaining stock ownership records for directors and officers, and communicating with directors and officers regarding stock ownership matters;
* managing and administering Mattel s insider trading compliance program, including the execution of clearance processes, the creation and distribution of the company s trading or black-out calendar, and the drafting and communication of insider trading windows;
* executing the company s audit inquiry process; and
* researching public company EDGAR filings and various securities regulation matters
In particular, this role will provide critical support for the preparation of Mattel s annual Schedule 14A/Proxy Statement filing, including but not limited to:
* assuming a lead role in planning and executing the drafting of the proxy statement
* liaising with business units (such as Human Resources, Tax and Controller) to gather and incorporate proxy data and other information,
* working with third party advisors and various proxy statement vendors on proxy statement preparations;distributing and processing Director & Officer questionnaires; and
* reviewing, revising and proofreading the proxy statement
Leading and managing various aspects of the process for preparing and executing Mattel s annual stockholders meeting, including coordinating logistics, liaising with third party vendors and preparing various meeting materials
Along with an attorney and in coordination with Treasury Department, leading and managing quarterly and annual process to confirm compliance with Mattel s credit facility and other debt documents
Assisting with various corporate governance matters, including corporate governance research, the preparation and delivery of materials for Board and Committee meetings, and other Board-related matters
Assisting with the preparation, review, execution and tracking of master services agreements, engagement letters, statements of work, powers of attorney, and non-disclosure agreements
Facilitating the annual review and updating of Mattel s corporate governance materials, tracking changes to corporate governance materials, and ensuring the maintenance and updating of corporate governance materials on Mattel s corporate website
Primary responsibility for corporate secretarial function including:
* maintaining minute books for Mattel s domestic and international subsidiaries, as well as management of online corporate records management system, hCue;
* drafting and filing, when applicable, documents such as articles of incorporation, bylaws, board and shareholder minutes, consents, stock certificates, powers of attorney, etc.;
* tracking and processing all annual filings and necessary qualifications for domestic subsidiaries;
* maintaining stock certificates and stockholder ledgers for domestic and international subsidiaries;
* liaising directly with international subsidiaries service companies, regional in-house counsel and local subsidiary managers to keep international subsidiary corporate records up to date and complete and assist with questions/requests related to the secretarial function; and
* forming and dissolving of corporations and LLCs.
Supporting various multi-task, multi-deadline special projects such as mergers and acquisitions, strategic investments, debt offerings, credit facility renewals, and reorganizations.
What We\'re Looking For:
* Bachelor s degree with five or more years as a corporate paralegal for a large public corporation and/or a major law firm; paralegal certificate preferred
* Excellent skills in Word, Excel, Microsoft Outlook and PowerPoint required
* Prefer candidates with substantial experience working with hCue or other online corporate records management systems similar to hCue
* Must be able to analyze, interpret, and summarize statutes, rules, and contractual provisions
* Must be able to perform legal research, including locating and analyzing secondary authority and contractual precedent
* High-level of maturity, independent judgment and professionalism, including the ability to remain calm and productive under pressure
* Strong executive presence and an ability interface well with all levels of the organization and various stakeholders, including but not limited to: Board members, senior-level executives, various client groups as well as outside law firms and other third-party advisors
* Ability to inspire trust and confidence through clear and effective verbal and written communication and strong interpersonal skills
* Must be a self-starter and possess a strong ability to prioritize, multi-task, and work efficiently in a busy setting, often with minimal supervision and rapidly changing demands
* Must be highly-organized, detail-oriented and able to think analytically and creatively about complex projects to effectively problem solve
* Ability and willingness to step outside of comfort zone as necessary to support the needs of the Law Department and business
* Must possess a positive can-do attitude and strong sense of ownership over duties and responsibilities
* Notary Public Certification a plus
WHAT IT S LIKE TO WORK HERE:
Mattel is passionate about our employee experience, which is built on community, opportunity and purpose. Our employees are at their best when they re recognized, rewarded, and empowered to drive their own Mattel journey that s why we offer flexible work schedules, unlimited paid time off for exempt employees, a generous holiday schedule, and a competitive compensation and benefits package. Depending on location, we also provide on-site resources like childcare and a fitness center to help seamlessly integrate work and life. There are endless opportunities to grow here, with a strong focus on career development, open access to senior leadership, and on-site and online training.
Mattel is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. F/M/Disability/Vet