Senior Product Development Engineer 8/20/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Summary: The Senior Materials Engineer will serve as the primary front-end developer of new textiles and coatings to drive new technologies and cost/quality improvements. This position will be responsible for development, validation, and transfer of new materials including textiles and coatings to the New Product Development team. In conjunction with Merchandising and Marketing, this role will also be responsible for identification of new technologies and systems to support the product roadmap.
Essential Duties, Responsibilities, and Key Results Area:
- Research, evaluation, development, and application of new textiles and coatings.
- Coordinate development efforts with 3rd party suppliers on new technologies.
- Work cross-functionally with multiple organizations in the company for delivery of robust technologies.
- Interact closely with Manufacturing.
- Create presentations detailing development work and present to leadership for approval.
- Establish standards for material development and ensure compliance of all new technologies.
- Serve as the subject matter expert and company interface with external vendors on new coatings and textiles.
- Coordinate development of technologies through the Advanced Development process until released to New Product Development.
- Support the New Product Development Team when incorporating technology into new product launches.
- Meet with suppliers/vendors regularly on new technologies including but not limited to:
- Test Methods
- Material construction
- Finishing -- including dye, softeners, treatments, application methods
- Coatings -- including FR, cooling, etc.
Other primary duties and responsibilities include the following; however, Management reserves the right to assign or reassign other appropriate duties to this job at any time. This document excludes the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties.
Tempur Sealy is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type based upon race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Textile Engineering, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or related field.
- 5+ years of new product development experience.
- 2+ years experience working with textile mills.
- Proficient in Microsoft programs (Word, Excel, Power Point, Projects, etc.).
Ideal Candidate Possesses These Attributes:
- Enthusiasm and passion for creative development of new products
- Strong analytic and strategic problem-solving ability
- Effective cross-functional collaboration skills
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple critical activities
- Strong leadership skills
- Solid project and time managements skills
- Ability to establish and build strong relationships with suppliers and internal customers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong commitment to team
- Healthy sense of urgency
Internal and External Interfaces:
- Member of the Global Product Development organization.
- Internal Partners
- Brand Management
- New Product Development
- Advanced Technology Foam
- Spring Development
- Product Engineering
- Supply Chain Planning
- External Partners
- Familiarity with industry standard test methods (AATCC, ASTM, NFPA).
- Experience with variety of textiles (knits, woven materials, finishes).
- Knowledge of flame-retardant processes.
- Knowledge of material application methods (spray, dip, infusion, and others).
Work Environment/Physical Requirements: Fast-paced corporate office environment. Travel to accommodate project schedules, such as program rollouts, will be necessary. Travel is estimated at 20%. Should be capable of lifting at least 40 pounds.
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties, responsibilities, and key results of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties, responsibilities, and key results outlined herein.