Senior Scientist/Associate Director, Medicinal Chemistry 5/2/2020
Ferring Pharmaceuticals Inc
San Diego, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY JOB DESCRIPTION:
Ferring Pharmaceuticals is a globally recognized, research-driven, biopharmaceutical company with more than 65 years of history. Headquartered in Switzerland, Ferring is privately owned with over 6,000 employees in nearly 60 countries. The Global Drug Discovery and External Innovation organization includes teams in Denmark (IPC), and San Diego (FRI), in addition to teams across Asia, Europe and other US locations. These groups support all Ferring therapeutic areas with a network of external innovation teams that establish strategic partnerships and collaborations. The Global Drug Discovery and External Innovation team has a focus in the fields of fertility & maternal health, urology/uro-oncology, and GI/liver/microbiome.
People Come First at Ferring. The Ferring Philosophy places people at the heart of what we do. This guides our relations with patients, physicians, employees, and other stakeholders. We invite you to share our passion for people and the power of science.
The Ferring Research Institute was established in San Diego, California in 1996 as the company s center of excellence for drug discovery research. More than 80 people work at its state-of-the-art research facility located in the heart of the Southern California biopharmaceutical community.
This position will oversee internal and external medicinal chemistry resource to advance small molecule drug discovery projects to critical decision-making milestones, from target validation, hit identification to clinical candidate selection. The qualified candidate will be responsible for formulating and executing the project chemistry strategy, contributing to the medicinal chemistry scientific excellence, fostering innovation and cross-functional collaboration with both internal and external scientific community.
* Deliver project milestones on a timely fashion by leading chemistry team through good scientific judgement and smooth project execution in collaboration with cross functional research team.
* Contribute to discovery chemistry global strategy, vision and operation.
* Participate in recruiting, coaching and developing internal talents.
* Engage in evaluating and implementing enabling discovery technology, including different modalities for drug discovery
* Contribute to evaluation, optimization and management of external chemistry CRO resources.
* Help evaluation of in-/out-licensing opportunities.
* Represent and promote the company externally.
* PhD in synthetic, organic or medicinal chemistry
* 10 years of experience preferably in pharma/biotech, including group leadership.
* Track record in innovation and delivery of novel clinical candidates across several diseases and therapeutic areas. Extensive experience in small molecule drug discovery and development
* Strong experience in lead generation strategies (structure-based, fragment-based drug design) and exposure to a broad range of therapeutic targets and chemical modalities .
* Deep knowledge in modern medicinal chemistry with strong track record of applying computational chemistry in guiding chemistry optimization.
* Good understanding of DMPK principles and with practical knowledge of driving project delivery using DMPK and in vitro and in vivo tox data.
* Strong track record in IP creation and peer-reviewed publications.
* Excellent inter-disciplinary communication skills.
* Strong team player
We are proud to be an Affirmative Action/EEO Employer. EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
If you need assistance during the application process due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org