Senior Technical Professional - Control Systems Engineer/PLC Programmer 8/25/2020
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oak Ridge, TN
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Requisition Id 3981
The Enrichment Technologies Group within the Isotopes and Fuel Cycle Technologies Division (IFCTD) seeks applications for a Control Systems Engineer with hands-on Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) programming experience to make a significant contribution to projects involving isotope enrichment, nuclear nonproliferation, and instrumentation of mission-critical systems. The IFCTD at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is a leader in research, development, and deployment of technology for Isotope Enrichment, the production and purification of radioisotopes, enhancement of nuclear nonproliferation and safeguards, reduction of threats to nuclear material at risk, and expansion of the national capabilities in radiation detection and nuclear forensics.
Major Duties / Responsibilities
The successful candidate will work as part of a research, design, test, and evaluation team with the primary responsibility programming PLC-based instrumentation and control systems.
The successful candidate will work well in a team environment, both as a contributing member and a leader as necessary. Team members are expected to influence the direction of the project by applying their creativity and ability to develop innovative solutions in a multi-organization environment. The successful candidate must also work with minimal supervision and will be expected to provide input and influence project direction through interaction with project team leadership. It will require the ability to learn new software, technologies, and systems without formal training. This position requires the flexibility to adapt to a wide variety of projects to meet the priorities of sponsoring agencies. This position will require report writing and presentation skills, participation in proposal writing, and research paper writing for refereed journals.
In this role the successful candidate will:
- Specify, document, design, support, repair, test, and maintain I&C systems for control and monitoring of the operational test systems using PLC-based technology
- Develop the control programs through which the equipment operates and interfaces with operators and other I&C systems
- Create and deliver quality Human Machine Interfaces (HMIs) that make the equipment easy and intuitive to use
- Create and read logic and flow diagrams for program design, programming, simulation and testing, and start-up
- Participate in the procuring, installing, startup, testing, and debugging of equipment
- Troubleshoot and operate equipment to reduce downtime
- Liaise with project leaders or other system partners on integration and communication issues, questions and deliverables
- Perform Preventative Maintenance tasks on time as directed
- Oversee wiring of electrical panels and PLCs
- Perform testing of program and equipment functions
- Assure that design meets specifications
- Provide operational support for the test equipment including some off-hours and weekend work as required to support 24/7 operational testing efforts
Work in accordance with ORNL, EESD, and ESEI Group procedures and programs including Environment, Safety, Health, and Quality (EHS&Q)
- Bachelor s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related discipline and at least 8 years of applicable experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated experience developing, maintaining, and troubleshooting industrial control systems using PLCs and test equipment such as multimeters, oscilloscopes, and 4 20 mA source devices
- Competent, professional level of knowledge of principles, theories, professional concepts and application techniques for process automation and controls systems
- A working knowledge of PLC architectures, variable frequency motor drives (VFDs), motor controllers, and PLC programming
- Employee may be required to work near radiation, cryogenic and high voltage areas and work could involve climbing ladders and the use of fall protection; therefore, the candidate must be able to acquire and maintain appropriate training and qualifications to work in these areas and follow all safety instructions
- Good written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with management, scientists, engineers and technicians
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse Program (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program.
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program.
- Active DOE Q clearance
- Master s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related discipline with at least 7 years of applicable experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience implementing controls solutions using Rockwell Allen-Bradley PLCs and programing HMIs with Rockwell Factory Talk View
- Experience implementing controls solutions using Siemens PLC and programming HMIs with Win CC
- Experience with EtherNet/IP, ProfiNet, and Profibus communication protocols
- Experience with MATLAB or other programming language
- Experience with analog control signals
- Experience with user interface design
- Experience with equipment layout and packaging
- Experience with data analysis methods
- Experience with an industry standard SCADA system
This position is a full-time staff position.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.