Senior Underwriter, Commercial Markets 9/20/2019
Blue Cross and Blue shield of Massachusetts
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY READY TO HELP US TRANSFORM HEALTHCARE? BRING YOUR TRUE COLORS TO BLUE.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS POSITION CAN BE BASED AT ANY OF OUR MASSACHUSETTS LOCATIONS: WORCESTER, BOSTON, QUINCY, OR HINGHAM.
At Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts, Underwriters are valued partners in contributing to the organization s success by influencing business segments such as Marketing, Product Portfolio, Infrastructure Planning and Network Planning. In addition to account underwriting responsibilities, the Senior Underwriter will have opportunities to participate in project teams working to enhance both operational processes and strategic business initiatives.
* Responsible for the accurate and timely calculation of credible and non-credible account rates.
* Track and report results to enable monthly reporting. Make accurate changes to specific accounts to make sure that results are tracked and targets are achieved.
* Enforce adherence to Underwriting Guidelines and be responsible for approval of exceptions.
* Prepare complete actuarial and underwriting analyses for "new business" accounts and account renewals. This includes whole account strategy and contribution strategy recommendations.
* Analyze and explain comparative advantages and disadvantages of various commercial programs submitted in competitive bidding situations.
* Monitor and report on the profitability and persistency of the assigned book of business.
* Maintain consistent high level of service to our sales representatives and clients with respect to renewal and proposal timeliness and accuracy.
* Participate actively in both account renewal and new business presentations to existing and prospective policyholders and brokers/consultants.
* Develop creative pricing strategies which achieve profitability and team targets.
* Participate in the development of new products and rating methodologies.
* Utilize Underwriting/Actuarial models to develop new business quotations and associated renewals, project future account performance, and propose alternative programs and/or financial arrangements when necessary.
* Leverage working knowledge of account specific rating formulas, cost and utilization trend analysis, contribution strategies and methods for minimizing adverse selection.
* Make on the spot decisions and represent the financial needs of the Corporation at meetings with accounts and brokers/consultants.
* Meet and present and consult with colleagues in Sales and externally with senior client management and/or their consultant
* Undergraduate or Masters Degree is required.
* Minimum of five years underwriting or related experience is required. Must have an extensive knowledge of health benefit programs and financial arrangements from both a risk and cash flow aspect.
* Must possess superior oral and written communication skills with the ability to present information to a variety of audiences . A creative problem solving ability is required.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts is an Equal Employment / Affirmative Action Employer. Applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristics protected by law.