Sr. Clerk (Limited Term) - 8076 6/3/2020
University of California - Merced
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Hiring Range
Job Closing Date
Review of applications will occur as openings are available. This is a temporary employment pool. This position is reopened every six months so please re-apply if you remain interested in the position. This position will close on 12/31/2020.
About UC Merced
The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system's 10 campuses and the first American research university built in the 21st century. With nearly 8,000 undergraduate and graduate students, UC Merced offers an environment that combines a commitment to diversity, inclusion, collaboration and professional development. With bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs, strong research and academic partnerships, and community involvement, the UC Merced campus is continually evolving and requires talented, knowledgeable and dynamic educators, researchers, management and staff.
Ranked among the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced is uniquely equipped to provide educational opportunities highly qualified students from the San Joaquin Valley and throughout California. The campus enjoys a special connection with nearby Yosemite National Park, is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design, and supports the economic development of Merced and the region.
In Fall 2016, UC Merced broke ground on a $1.3 billion public-private partnership that is unprecedented in higher education. The Merced 2020 Project will nearly double the physical capacity of the campus by 2020, enhancing academic distinction, student success and research excellence. In 2018, UC Merced opened the Downtown Campus Center, a $33 million, three-story administrative building located in the heart of Merced.
About the Job
Incumbents may provide business services such as purchasing, inventory and stores, facilities and space utilization; and provide general clerical as well as administrative assistance to departmental staff.
Applies basic skills to fulfill the work assigned; performs routine and/or repetitive tasks; limited decision making required; generally works under close supervision; has limited experience; work is performed from within specific limits of established procedures and/or defined instructions. This position has responsibility for an end product of work and by independent application of knowledge of standard office methods and procedures. Assignments entail some phases of a program or service involving performance of a variety of detailed operations in related sequence or series.
* High School Diploma, General Equivalency Degree (GED), or High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED) or equivalent, and one (1) year of administrative/clerical work experience, or the skills, knowledge, and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position is required.
* Intermediate communication skills required.
* Discretion, diplomacy, and confidentiality is exercised in all areas of work being performed.
* Work is performed under close supervision of a higher- level clerical or administrative person. Assignments are given in clerical terms. Duties involving standard methods are performed independently, with guidance provided as requested, and those involving nonstandard methods or materials are performed from specific instructions or guides.
* Guidelines include a variety of procedural rules and regulations which are detailed, directly applicable and readily available; but some judgment is required to select from among standard office methods or to devise working procedures for own desk. This requires knowledge of a variety of standard procedures, an understanding of the terminology of the unit served. and some familiarity with work done in related departments.
* Incumbents are responsible for accuracy, completeness and end products of work, and may assign and check the work of others.
* Under close supervision, works within prescribed guidelines and established procedures.
* Resolves routine problems by referring to established procedures or by consulting others.
* Exchanges procedural information with co-workers or immediate work group.
* Ability to learn University policies and procedures.
* Typically works in a single location and may work in other locations as required.
Background check and fingerprinting may be required.
How to Apply:
An online application is required for each position to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
Smoke and Tobacco Free Policy:
The University of California, Merced is a smoke and tobacco free workplace. Information and the Smoke and Tobacco Free policy is available at http://smokefree.ucmerced.edu.
All employers who receive Federal contracts and grants are required to comply with E-Verify, an Internet-based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA). E-Verify electronically verifies employment eligibility by comparing information provided on the I-9 form to records in the DHS and SSA databases. Certain positions funded by federal contracts/subcontracts requires UC Merced to notify job applicants that an E-Verify check will be conducted and the successful candidate must pass the E-Verify check.
Pay, Benefits & Work Schedule:
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University of California visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/