Sr Director, Corporate Strategy 6/4/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
* JOB SUMMARY
Position reports to the VP, Corporate Strategy, and is responsible for supporting the development, execution and monitoring of the corporate strategy, driving strategic initiatives and supporting corporate-wide M&A and licensing activities on an ad-hoc basis. The Sr. Director will both lead project teams and individually execute entire projects, thereby utilizing a broad set of skills including issue and data analysis, problem solving, project management, and communication. The Sr. Director will work closely with the VP of Corporate Strategy, executive team, and senior leaders to develop and implement recommendations. This position has two direct reports.
Our focus is on thought leadership, as we are responsible for helping our senior management to identify the overall company direction. We are not just leading projects; we are working to help colleagues identify how we grow as a One Emergent team and as a company.
* ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Lead a team of experienced biopharmaceutical professionals.
* Perform management consulting as the Corporate Strategy team leads key growth initiatives.
* Refine and execute the annual strategic planning process with the Executive Management Team and other senior leaders.
* Identify, assess and lead new initiatives and opportunities, such as new market entry, creation of new products/services, or internal business performance improvement.
* Lead investigation and resolution of ad-hoc strategic questions on a rolling basis.
* Support potential partnerships, licensing and/or acquisition opportunities for cross-business unit M&A opportunities.
* Create, write, and communicate briefings, presentations, and memos for senior management.
* Apply financial principles to the evaluation of new business opportunities and initiatives.
* Interpret, analyze, and evaluate business plans, operating/financial plans, research reports, SEC filings, deal memos and proposals, and company press releases.
* Monitor and evaluate the emerging landscape of public health threats in partnership with the Commercial Assessments team to advise executive management on future growth opportunities.
* Facilitate monitoring and execution of strategic plans, including measuring success, identifying gaps and recommending solutions.
* Ensure harmonization of corporate strategy and goals with business unit and functional strategies and goals.
* Support the preparation of reports and presentations to the Executive Management Team, Strategic Operations Committee and Board of Directors.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management s assignment of essential functions.
III. MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
* BS/BA required; Advanced degree, such as MBA or PhD preferred
* Minimum of 12+ years in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry, with at least 8 years of experience in strategy consulting, corporate strategic planning and/or management consulting as well as experience developing and implementing business plans and strategies
* Some track record of M&A and/or licensing experience a plus (1 2 years or 5+ transactions)
* Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical capabilities, including ability to build models
* Able to lead and influence in complex and ambiguous environment that is fast changing
* Maturity and executive presence to organize, lead, and motivate ad hoc teams and navigate and develop relationships at all levels in the organization
* Strong oral and written communication skills be able to synthesize complex and diverse information and distill down to the key so what s.
* Proven track record of delivering value to organizations in a proactive manner
* PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT CHARACTERISTICS
The physical/mental demands are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual would encounter while performing the essential functions of the job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical/Mental Demands and Work Environment Characteristics:
Ability to organize/coordinate Comprehend and follow instructions
Direct, control and plan Independently make quick decisions to solve complex issues
Problem Solve Analyze/Interpret data and information
Perform with frequent interruptions Make decisions using sound judgment
Good eye/hand coordination Visual Acuity
Use keyboard/computer/phone Detect/Distinguish smell
Detect/Distinguish hearing Maintain stationary position
Position self to move Move/Traverse
Ascend/Descend (climb) Reaching
Calibrate precise Ability to safely operate hand tools
Move/Transport 2 lb. Repetitive movement activities
Regular and predictable attendance
Work around extreme temperatures cold or hot
Work around noise above conversation level
Work in restricted access to laboratory area
Exposure to dust/gas/fumes/steam/chemicals
Work with Select Agents as defined by the CDC
Work irregular hours that often include nights and weekends
Work in multiple locations
Approximately 15%. Likely to include international travel.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, Protected Veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting