Sr. Manager, Commercial Strategy & Operations 2/13/2020
Bluebird Bio Inc.
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Senior Manager, Commercial Strategy & Operations
About bluebird bio:
Join bluebird bio s enthusiastic and collaborative team by contributing to the overall success of our novel gene and cell therapy approach. This mission critical role reports to the Associate Director of Commercial Strategy & Operations and will help expand the function as the company prepares to launch its first commercial therapies. The Senior Manager of Commercial Strategy & Operations is a generalist role able to balance expert intra-personal skills with strong analytical acumen to own and aid in the delivery of Commercial strategy projects. The role will be a part of the integrated Commercial team to identify, execute, and synthesize market research and competitive intelligence to guide our long-range demand forecasts and aid in strategic decision making.
About the job:
The Senior Manager of Commercial Strategy & Operations is a Global role and will be a critical partner across functions and with Commercial leadership to drive forward-thinking and data-driven strategic decision making. The individual will help drive Commercial strategy projects (including but not limited to geographic expansion, performance tracking, establishing governance for MLR, etc.). They will work with Competitive Intelligence, Market Research, and Forecasting to contribute to strategic projects across each of bluebird s therapeutic areas. This role partners with other functions (Marketing, Franchise and Program Teams, Medical Affairs, Finance, Market Access, BD, etc.) to ensure coordination and execution of projects, monitor progress of analytical initiatives, and provide well-supported, actionable analytics to internal stakeholders.
* Critical member of the Commercial Strategy & Operations team
* Help to execute critical strategic initiatives in collaboration with Market Research and Competitive Intelligence, Forecasting and other Commercial Functions
* Work proactively with cross-functional teams to understand business questions/objectives, identify the information currently available, define the gaps and articulate a proposed methodology, and project plan to deliver on these requirements
* Help execute strategic projects with specific module responsibility and stakeholder management
* Present detailed quantitative analyses and qualitative insights to Commercial leadership in a manner that is easily interpreted and aids strategic and tactical decision making
* Analyze, integrate and interpret results from competitive intelligence, secondary and primary market research, and prepare meaningful, timely reports and presentations
* Identify, evaluate and help purchase global secondary data reports and databases that support specific projects
* Embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself
* Entrepreneurial leader: Thrives in fast-paced, minimally structured environment, able to navigate ambiguity and act without having the complete picture. Can simultaneously build infrastructure/operating efficiency/capability while delivering significant results on challenging goals and objectives. Able to prioritize and oversee multiple projects in a fast-paced environment. Demonstrated managerial courage to make and stand by difficult decisions.
* Intellectually curious & insightful: Able to develop a deep understanding of the intricacies of the product, provider, payer, and treatment landscapes. Combines a passion for learning, both from data sources and people, with the ability to continuously scan the environment for new information, insights and solutions to problems.
* Driven to achieve results: Driven to achieve elite standards of performance and a track record of delivering exceptional results. Desire to capitalize on opportunities, to strive for constant improvement and development, and to continuously redefine goals and objectives.
* Team player: Authentic, humble, able to build a positive team spirit and lead through the ups and downs of a launch. Puts success of team above own interests and supports everyone s efforts to grow and develop. Ability to effectively collaborate across multiple organizations and with stakeholders of various background and skill sets.
* Data driven strategisT: Combines analytic skill with judgment to contribute to strategic direction of Commercial organization. Able to synthesize and analyze complex data and information. Capable of understanding the business, connecting the dots, being proactive and providing strategic value.
* Excellent communicator: Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, including ability to synthesize data and deliver a clear perspective of strategy, opportunity and risks for Commercial leadership.
Education and experience requirements:
* BA/BS with a minimum of 2-3 years of pharmaceutical/biotech and or consulting experience in increasing roles of responsibility (equivalent combination of education, e.g. MS, MBA or PhD, and experience may also be considered)
* Deep understanding of the pharmaceutical / biotech landscape
* Previous experience in top-tier consulting (i.e., McKinsey, Bain, BCG) required
* Knowledge of scientific and clinical development with an understanding of the drug development process preferred but not required.
bluebird bio is committed to fostering an environment where everyone can be their whole selves and know they are valued. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, age, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, veteran status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.