Staff Materials Engineer,Solar Hardware Engineering - Polymers 6/4/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY The Role
Tesla is currently seeking a motivated and accomplished Staff Materials Engineer to support our Solar Hardware product line. You will be responsible for identifying, developing, evaluating, processing and qualifying materials needed for current and next generations Solar Hardware products. Other responsibilities include driving engineering tradeoffs, including aesthetics, lifetime, cost, manufacturing process, installation ease, and product features. Materials include structural plastics & composites, structural adhesives, and PV specific materials.
* Identify and conduct evaluation of material candidates, such as engineering plastics and composites, working closely with industrial design, mechanical design, electrical design, optical design and manufacturing engineering team
* Develop novel production methods through polymer processing, compounding, molding, extrusion, casting.
* Determine and optimize process parameters for manufacturing processes of plastics/composites and adhesives.
* Carry out materials characterization and performance evaluation by conducting analytical studies and collaborating with process/reliability teams.
* Develop structure-property relationship for polymeric materials and composites.
* Understand mechanical properties of polymeric materials and relevance to the application. Support the design team with mechanical analysis of components and FEA.
* Write materials specifications, test procedures, SOPs.
* Engage with and manage external partners and vendors for materials development and drive to successful realization in production.
* Develop and evaluate improved and optimized composition of custom formulations.
* Perform stress testing and reliability testing on materials and components.
* M.S./Ph.D. in Materials Science/Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Polymer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering is preferred, Bachelor's degree or the equivalent in experience is required.
* Evidence of exceptional ability.
* Proficient with statistical software, sql data mining, scripting languages, mechanical design software and FEA
* Exceptional organization, cross discipline collaboration and communication skills.
* Excellent problem-solving skills.
* Detailed-oriented, able to work both independently and in a collaborative project-focused environment, prompt and dependable, and excellent communication skills.
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.