Staff Research Associate II
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 11/15/2019
END DATE 11/29/2019
University of California San Francisco
San Francisco, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB OVERVIEW
The Staff Research Associate II (SRA II) will provide research assistance for the Laboratory for Dr. Lawrence Fong in the Division of Hematology / Oncology, Department of Medicine (DOM).
The laboratory primarily focuses on studying specific immune cellular responses in the context of cancer immunotherapy. In particular, to carry out flow sorting experiments of cancer and immune cells for high-throughput RNA / DNA sequencing and analysis of flow cytometry data.
The SRA II performs various laboratory duties that include, but are not limited to, following set protocols, optimizing new protocols and potentially setting up automation (robot) for flow cytometry and RNA / DNA sequencing.
Aside from performing these techniques, the SRA II must also collect experimental data, generate databases for data storage, analyze data, report (formally and informally) experimental conclusions and future directions, prepare graphs, charts and figures for formal presentations and present recently published papers relevant to current studies.
The SRA II will be trained by and will work closely with the project manager in the laboratory on various projects. Upon being trained, the SRA II will likewise train newly hired personnel.
DIVISION OF HEMATOLOGY/ONCOLOGY / MEDICINE
The Department of Medicine (DOM), the largest department in the School of Medicine, has close to 600 full-time faculty leading top-notch research, clinical, and education programs. The Department has a decentralized organizational structure across four sites (Parnassus, San Francisco General Hospital - SFGH, Veterans Affairs Medical Center - VAMC and Mt. Zion) and 38 divisions. Authority and accountability for the Department rests with the Department Chair who heads the Parnassus and Mt. Zion sites, and also directs the Vice Chairs at the SFGH, and VAMC sites.
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences.
* BA/BS degree in Field of Science (i.e. Biology, Immunology, Molecular Biology) or related physical sciences and one or more years of recent, directly related work experience following degree completion, utilizing the techniques or methods required by the position; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
* Two years of laboratory experience or experience in a core facility
* Ability to handle and prioritize responsibilities pertaining to multiple projects
* Extensive background in field of science (i.e. Biology, Protein chemistry)
* Ability to collect, analyze and prepare data for formal and informal presentation. This involves generating data, utilizing software (i.e. Microsoft Excel and SoftMax Pro), generating databases and making graphs, charts and tables (i.e. Microsoft PowerPoint)
* Excellent communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with all levels of staff and external contacts in a fast-paced environment
* Background in immunology & cancer biology
* Experience with PCR and other molecular biology techniques
* Experience with flow cytometry and cell sorting
* Experience with tissue culture
* Experience with automation with robots
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. img height=1 width=1 border=0 src=https://ucsfedu.contacthr.com/73138656.jpg /