Surgical Technician III 6/6/2020
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY DEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION: The East Campus OR cares for patients undergoing Gynecology, General, Urology, Robotics, Oncology, Orthopedics (Joint Replacements, Sports medicine, and Oncology), Ophthalmology, ENT, Plastic, and Interventional Pulmonology surgical procedures.
**Staff work 8 and 10 hour shifts and cover call on off-shifts, weekends and holidays.**
JOB LOCATION: Boston, MA
REQ ID: 34530BR
JOB SUMMARY: The Surgical Technician III is an individual who is certified, and educated to perform surgical technology services that contribute to safe, quality and fiscally responsible care of patients. Is a proficient practitioner who practices consistently with occasional guidance and direction asking for assistance when necessary and can teach.
* Collaborates with the circulating nurse prior to a surgical procedure to carry out the plan of care by preparing the operating room, gathering and preparing supplies, instruments and equipment, preparing and maintaining the sterile field using sterile and aseptic technique and ensuring that surgical equipment is functioning properly and safely.
* During the intraoperative phase of patient care anticipates and responds to the needs of a surgeon and other team members by monitoring the sterile field and providing the required instruments and supplies.
* Perform tasks at the sterile field as directed in an operating room setting, including; passing supplies, equipment or instruments, sponging or suctioning an operative site, preparing and cutting suture material, transferring and irrigating with fluids, transferring but not administering, drugs, handling specimens, and assisting in counting supplies and instruments with the circulating nurse.
* Recognizes, intervenes, and reports situations which impede patient safety. Safeguards the privacy of patients. Maintains confidentiality relating to patients. Remains aware of patient's rights and legal, moral, and ethical implications of actions.
* Facilitates efficient turnover time by prioritizing activities related to equipment and instrumentation needed for cases to follow in assigned room. Recognizes and reports problems related to kits, equipment or supplies.
* High School diploma or GED required.
* Certificate 1 Cert Surg Tech (CST) required., and Certificate 2 Basic Life Support required.
* 1-3 years related work experience required in similar role with 2 years as a qualifier.
* Graduate of an accredited education program for surgical technologists or has completed a training program for surgical technologists in the United States Military or Public Health Service.
* Holds and maintains a certified surgical technologist credential administered by a nationally recognized surgical technologist credentialing body accredited by the National commission of Certifying Agencies and recognized by the American College of Surgeons and the Association of Surgical Technologists.
* Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
* Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
* Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
* Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth by the U.S. Department of Labor.