Surgical Technologist II 6/4/2020
The Woodlands, TX
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Summary
At Houston Methodist, the Surgical Technologist II position requires proficient knowledge and skills necessary to carry out delegated tasks associated with the safe and efficient operating room support functions and related procedures. This position works independently, exercising sound judgement, and reports observations and patient problems to the licensed nurse or surgeon. In addition to performing the duties and responsibilities of a Surgical Technologist I, the Surgical Technologist II position will provide mentoring and guidance for Surgical Tech I positions, utilizing skills and knowledge, helping to train and orient others. This position is responsible for assigned non-nursing functions and practices relationship-centered care in concert with the Methodist Values. Other duties for the Surgical Technologist II position will include general patient care and department upkeep as delegated by licensed personnel.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
* Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
* INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
* COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
* ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
* RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
* EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
* Focuses on patient/customer safety
* Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
* Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
* Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
* Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20 %
* Promotes a positive work environment that actively assists interprofessional health care team to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the interprofessional health care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. Facilitates open, professional, communication to achieve mutual understanding, role modeling by example.
* Teaches others to critically think by verbally expressing rationale for decisions and follows up, providing structured feedback with examples. Serves as the department preceptor for new surgical technologists utilizing skills and knowledge, helping to train and orient others.
* Facilitates teamwork by anticipating the need for assistance and responding positively to requests for assistance. Makes contributions to the work effort as a whole.
SERVICE - 20%
* Assists in prepping the operating room for the next patient. Anticipates additional instrumentation, equipment and supplies for usage during the procedure before surgeon scrubs. Prepares room, equipment and supplies to accommodate planned procedures. Maintains and accurately communicates updates for surgeon preference cards within the applicable service line.
* Anticipates the needs of the surgeon and nursing staff by passing instruments and supplies for surgical procedures, performing competently the role of the surgical Technologist in the provision of surgical assistance during a variety of surgical procedures including but not limited to: orthopedics, gynecology, general, ENT, ophthalmology, urology, CV, spine, neurology, oral/maxillofacial, and minimally invasive procedures.
* Assists the circulating RN with the sponge, instrument, needle, and other surgical counts.
* Role models behaviors and skills, through peer-to-peer accountability, towards improving department score for patient satisfaction on unit-based scorecard.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20 %
* Maintains highest standard of sterile technique during pre and post procedures. Prepares sterile dressings and/or immobilization devices. Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilization. Assists other members of the team with terminal cleaning of the room.
* Organizes the work flow effectively, problem-solves, and manages multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision.
* Participates in debriefing and quality improvement practices to ensure quality patient care. Contributes to identification of corrective actions and improvement activities towards improving quality and safety targets on the unit-based scorecard, through peer-to-peer accountability, reporting near misses, and collaborating with the interprofessional healthcare team.
FINANCE - 20 %
* Organizes time effectively, minimizing incidental overtime, and sets priorities. Utilizes time between heavy workloads efficiently and helps other team members.
* Maintains efficient use of surgical supplies and minimizes opening of supplies until confirmation that will be used during surgery. Makes recommendations for cost containment during cases.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20 %
* Participates in department projects and shared governance activities. May co-chair a unit-based Shared Governance Council.
* Acts as resource in surgical technology for the department on other hospital committees.
* Proactively seeks opportunities to enhance knowledge and learning towards expertise in competencies with a focus on continual development.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
* High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
* Successful completion of an accredited Surgical Technology program or military training equivalency
* Two (2) years as a Surgical Technologist
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
* American Heart Association BLS
* Certification by the Surgical Technologist Association or meet the grandfather clause.
Grandfather clause (Bill 643): The bill includes an extensive grandfather clause exempting all individuals employed to practice surgical technology in a health care facility before Sept. 1, 2009. The clarification notes that legislation does not state employed "on" Sept. 1, 2009, but rather "before that date. A surgical technologist who was employed before Sept. 1, 2009, may remain employed as a surgical technologist without meeting the certification requirement.
Equal Employment Opportunity. Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.