Technical Editor 10/18/2019
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job ID
Use your experience as a technical editor to help create effective training materials for Esri customers. Join the innovative team responsible for designing, authoring, and updating training courses that teach GIS concepts, skills, and workflows.
The ideal candidate must have experience identifying and eliminating errors in text, illustrations, and tables; consulting with writers on content and style; establishing, monitoring, and reinforcing editorial standards; and editing at an advanced level.
* Edit and publish educational content that meets high quality standards
* Evaluate content in relation to instructional objectives, internal conventions, and approved style guides
* Provide constructive feedback to course authors to help them improve their writing skills
* Edit text and graphics to improve clarity and effectiveness and to ensure they conform to quality standards
* Manage file and folder structures, storage, and permissions to ensure the integrity of the content for assigned projects
* Conduct usability testing of the student exercises
* 2+ years of professional experience working as an editor in collaboration with authors
* Experience working with industry standard style guides (e.g., Chicago Manual of Style and Microsoft Manual of Style)
* Experience using content management systems, including managing file and folder structures, storage, and permissions
* Superb interpersonal communication skills with an ability to convey complex ideas clearly and directly
* Superior command of the English language, including rules and usage
* Strong critical thinking, analytical, organizational, and time management skills
* Proficiency in the Microsoft Windows environment and with Microsoft Office applications
* Experience working in a network environment
* General familiarity with graphics software
* Collaborative, team-oriented work style paired with the ability to work independently, troubleshoot, and problem solve
* Comfortable learning new technologies
* Bachelor s in English or related field
* Experience editing documentation for a technical audience
* Experience modifying content for global English considerations
* Knowledge of GIS and Esri software
* Knowledge of instructional design or pedagogy
Our passion for improving quality of life through geography is at the heart of everything we do. Esri s geographic information system (GIS) technology inspires and enables governments, universities, and businesses worldwide to save money, lives, and our environment through a deeper understanding of the changing world around them.
Carefully managed growth and zero debt give Esri stability that is uncommon in today's volatile business world. Privately held, we offer exceptional benefits, competitive salaries, 401(k) and profit-sharing programs, opportunities for personal and professional growth, and much more.
Esri is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.