Technical Professional - Enrichment Technology Mechanical Design Engineer 8/21/2020
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oak Ridge, TN
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Requisition Id 3969
The Enrichment Technology Group within the Isotope and Fuel Cycle Technology Division (IFCTD) seeks applications for a mechanical engineer position focused on the research and development of equipment and systems utilized to process uranium-bearing and stable isotope compounds. The individual is to work at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) to provide mechanical equipment design support to facilitate the fabrication, procurement, assembly, and testing activities for multiple enrichment technology programs. The IFCTD at ORNL is a leader in research, development, and deployment of technology for the production and purification of radioisotopes, enhancement of nuclear nonproliferation and safeguards, reduction of threats to nuclear material at risk, and expansion of the national capabilities in radiation detection and nuclear forensics.
Major Duties / Responsibilities
The selected candidate will be responsible for creating mechanical design deliverables including drawings, specifications, datasheets, calculations and requirement definition documents in a configuration-controlled environment. The mechanical engineer will also help staff assemble, maintain, repair, and perform tests on subassemblies and machines in a variety of R&D settings. Communication of design requirements, analytical results, critical inspections, and machine installation procedures with Machine Analysists and Assembly/Testing Technicians is required. This position is also required to maintain design ownership through subcomponent testing, final machine performance tests, and future revisions or advancement of the design technology.
Responsibilites will include:
- Create part and assembly models in SOLIDWORKS as well as generate detailed mechanical drawings to facilitate fabrication and assembly of designed components and systems
- Author fabrication specifications to aid in the consistent manufacture of components both internal to ORNL and external procurement contracts
- Support advanced machine design development by incorporating testing feedback and performance modelling analysis into future design revisions/prototypes
- Provide manufacturability and general drawing reviews of designs to be fabricated
- Work with operations before, during and after R&D testing to provide technical assistance when required
- Aid in the development of engineering processes to manage the configuration of deployed systems
- Develop processes for identification, documentation, and verification of design requirements
The successful candidate will be required to effectively interact with various personnel and sponsors, both within and outside of ORNL. The candidate is expected to be able to work in a team environment with co-workers and management as well as independently. Excellent communication skills, including verbal, presentation, and writing skills are required.
- A B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or a related field and 5 years of relevant experience.
- 3 years experience with 3D CAD and product data management systems
- 1 years of experience with SolidWorks
- A strong understanding of and application experience with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) per ASME standard Y14.5
- Experience creating and maintaining design documents in a quality controlled/managed work process environment
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Q clearance from the Department of Energy
- Active DOE Q clearance
- Licensed Professional Engineer
- Experience in progressing prototype hardware into production-ready components
- Experience with vibrations/frequency modes of dynamic systems and high-speed rotating equipment
- Finite Element (FE) modeling/analysis
- Machine and fabrication shop experience
- Experience in the design and startup of pilot scale research processes
- Requirements management of critical design attributes or safety significant systems
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the About tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.