TECHNICAL RESEARCH ASSISTANT I / DAY / 40 HOURS / BWH NEUROLOGY 6/3/2020
Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY/OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Working under the general supervision of the Principal Investigator (or Research Manager), and in accordance with established hospital policies and procedures, employee conducts a variety of routine experiments with clearly established methodologies. They will calculate, transcribe, and analyze data using basic statistics. They will record test results and maintain equipment in working order. They should be able to work independently after initial training period.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Under general supervision, performs a variety of routine tests following established methodologies. Routine tests may include separation and quantification of DNA, RNA and protein.
* Mouse Stereotaxic injections.
* Mouse behavior assay.
* Mouse brain histology.
* Records data. Summarizes and analyzes results using basic statistics.
* Prepares laboratory reagents, chemicals, instruments, and equipment.
* Discusses progress of work regularly with supervisor.
* All other duties, as assigned.
* BS or higher degree in a biological science required.
* Additional knowledge in mouse genetics, molecular biology or neuroscience will be a plus.
* Experience with mouse work is a plus, such as stereotaxic injection, handing mice and maintaining mouse colonies.
* Should have previous experience working in a research lab (1-2 years preferred), such as experience with performing PCR, running DNA gels and/or protein gels, Western blotting, or immunohistochemistry.
* Must have a sound understanding of laboratory practices and procedures, usually acquired through one to three months of on-the-job training.
* Must have excellent organizational and record keeping skills.
* Must have good manual dexterity.
* Must possess careful attention to details.
* Must be able to maintain a neat and orderly working environment.
* Must be able to make independent, effective decisions in appropriate situations.
* Must have aptitude for technical problem solving.
* Excellent organizational skills to ensure smooth functioning of a research laboratory.
* Ability to demonstrate professionalism.
Brigham and Womens Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service, or other protected status.