Therapuetic Recreation Specialist - Covenant IP Rehab
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 4/3/2018
END DATE 6/14/2018
Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation
JOB DESCRIPTIONWe have the great privilege of helping patients and families re-build their lives. It's extraordinarily meaningful work and the reason we greet the day with optimism and anticipation. When patients \\"Ask for Mary,\\" they experience a culture that has been sculpted for more than a century. Our hallmark is to carefully listen to patients and innovatively serve them. This is true of every employee, from support staff and leadership, to clinicians and care providers.
Mary Free Bed is a not-for-profit, nationally accredited rehabilitation hospital serving thousands of children and adults each year through inpatient, outpatient, sub-acute rehabilitation, orthotics and prosthetics and home and community programs. With the most comprehensive rehabilitation services in Michigan and an exclusive focus on rehabilitation, Mary Free Bed physicians, nurses and therapists help our patients achieve outstanding clinical outcomes. The growing Mary Free Bed Network provides patients throughout the state with access to our unique standard of care.
Mary Free Bed at Covenant HealthCare provides inpatient rehabilitation care for patients in the Saginaw and surrounding regions. The Mary Free Bed Therapeutic Recreational Specialist working in this location has the opportunity to receive support from both organizations, and is expected to follow all applicable policies and procedures that apply to our work.
Mary Free Bed: Restoring Hope and Freedom through Rehabilitation.
Covenant HealthCare: Extraordinary Care for Every Generation
Responsible for patient evaluation, programming, and documentation. Keeps treatment skills upgraded through continuing education. Provides student supervision and serves as a clinical resource for an area of expertise.
Age Specific Responsibility:
Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served in assigned department. Must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her age-specific needs, and to provide the care needed as described in the department's policies and procedures.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
Provides patient care.
* Evaluates patients' premorbid and current leisure functioning.
* Determines individual goals and objectives, in agreement with patient and/or family.
* Develops, implements, and monitors treatment plan according to the needs of the patient.
* Plans, conducts, and coordinates therapeutic recreation services of the department to address patients' treatment plans and developmental levels with age appropriate activities. Services mayo include: community activities, small and large group programs, morning, afternoon, evening and weekend programs, passive to active activities, individual services, and co-therapy programs. Services are to include families and siblings as appropriate.
* Adapts activities, equipment as necessary.
Documents patient's status and progress through initial evaluation, progress notes, and discharge summary according to established time standards.
Communicates with others to integrate therapeutic recreation treatment in optimizing total patient care.
* Participates in conferences/discussions and exchange of written records with other interdisciplinary team members to integrate therapeutic recreation treatment plan.
* Instructs the patient and the family in therapeutic recreation procedures as part of the home program. Provides written instructions as necessary.
* Instructs the visiting public, medical students, physicians, and other professionals in the methods of and objectives in area of expertise.
Attends various meetings as designated.
Functions as a patient advocate and maintains patient confidentiality.
* Provides educational training to therapeutic recreation specialists and other staff in the form of in-services at least one time per year.
* Assists in program development.
* Provides clinical supervision and clinical input for students as requested.
* Functions as a resource person in an area of expertise.
Essential Job Qualifications (Knowledge, Education, and Training Requirements):
* B.A. in Therapeutic Recreation.
* Registered with NCTRC as a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist or eligible within one year of employment.
* Valid Michigan drivers license with no restrictions affecting ability to drive vehicles.
* Possesses and maintains CPR certification.
* Possesses and demonstrates expertise in a specific diagnostic area of rehabilitative therapeutic recreation. Can demonstrate leadership and effective communication skills, ability to relate well with people, sensitivity to patients.
* Demonstrates ability to supervise students.
* Participates in orientation of new staff.
* The physical ability to lift, position, and transport patients.
* The ability to frequently sit, stand, walk, bend, kneel, twist, crawl, grasp, reach, and occasionally climb.
* The ability to hear, speak, write, and see (correctable vision).
* The ability to frequently lift up to 75 pounds, and occasionally lift in excess of 75 pounds.
* The ability to occasionally push, pull, or carry weight anywhere from 1 to 100+ pounds while assisting patients and moving equipment.
* The ability to exert up to 20-50 pounds of force occasionally, 10-20 pounds of force frequently, and exert up to 10 pounds of force constantly.
Other Preferred Job Qualifications:
* Experience or knowledge of adapting equipment and leisure education.
* Membership in ATRA/NCTRC.
Therapy Manager - MFB at Covenant
Mary Free Bed is an equal opportunity employer.
Diversity is all of the ways we differ individually, interpersonally and organizationally. Understanding diversity involves the recognition of cultural and other differences and traditions by identifying and empathizing with differing beliefs and behaviors. Mary Free Bed will use the strength of these differences to improve services to its community.
Mary Free Bed values diversity among the patients, families and communities it serves. Creativity and sensitivity to individual needs and differences are valued.
Mary Free Bed values diversity among its staff. Staff who share our organizational values are recruited from all areas of the workforce. Mary Free Bed fosters an environment that embraces differences by enhancing the staff s knowledge and experience. Our staff will serve all patients, families and each other with dignity and respect.